| This country is amazing . |
| Pazaislis monastery and church form the largest monastery complex in Lithuania, and one of the most magnificent examples of Italian baroque architecture in Eastern Europe. It is situated in Kaunas, the second largest city in Lithuania, on a peninsula in Kaunas Lagoon. Founded in 1662 by the Great Chancellor Krzysztof Zygmunt Pac for Order of the Camaldolese Hermits, the main construction has been built until 1674 and further finished until 1712. The church was designed by Pietro Puttini, were directed by Carlo and Pietro Puttini, Giovanni Battista Frediani. The building of the towers and the dome after 1755 was funded by king`s chambelain Michal Jan Pac.
In 1832 the church was closed by Russians and later converted into an Orthodox church. After 1920 the ruined church returned to Roman Catholics and was restored by sisters of the Lithuanian convent of St. Casimir. After World War II, the Soviet authorities converted the church and monastery into an archive, a psychiatric hospital and finally an art gallery (in 1966). In 1990s the complex was returned to the nuns of the convent and reconstruction work began.
© Copyright 2005- 2019 Brodyaga.com Contacts
All photos/wallpapers are free for a personal use only. For a public, professional or commercial use, please contact the Authors of each